the big three-oh: part three
My desk looked like a florist shop today (not that I'm complaining) due to the lovely, beautiful flowers that I received from my two bosses and my best friend...thank you all so much!! Continuing my journey through thirty years of music...
1987: This is the year when I discovered teenage moping was all the rage, and I think I became more aware of music. I remember going to sleep with headphones on, spending time and money in the local record shop, being glued to the videos on MTV, and pestering my mother to let me attend a Guns 'n' Roses concert (to no avail). A ton of great music came out this year, including Depeche Mode's Music for the Masses, G'n'R's Appetite for Destruction, Kick by INXS, and U2's The Joshua Tree, to name a few. I bought the song below on 45 and listened to it repeatedly, and watched the video as often as possible - such a crazy video, like nothing I'd ever seen before.
new order: true faith from Substance (this is the '94 version) [buy]
1988: This is the beginning of my contrasting music tastes. I was listening to the despairing, lovely, moping of Morrissey along with the heavy-metal, rocking, angry sounds of Metallica, as well as the sugary mainstream pop crap that all of my friends were listening to as well. Yes, I listened to New Kids on the Block, I had their cassettes, I knew all the words. I admit it.
morrissey: everyday is like sunday from Viva Hate [buy]
1989: Again, I was listening to a multitude of different things. While I still liked the pop crap, I listened to Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation (who didn't?!) and Mother's Milk by The Red Hot Chili Peppers (influenced by my sister). I loved Faith No More and listened over and over to the tape of The Real Thing my sister got me for Christmas (I now own the CD...it's a great album). But I love this song that is from a great album released this year.
the stone roses: i wanna be adored from The Stone Roses [buy]
1990: At this point in my life, I wanted to be just like my friends, who listened to Top 40 and rap. I hid the fact that I liked different music, and I'm ashamed of that now. So even though I adored albums like Flood by They Might Be Giants and the absolutely amazing Violator by Depeche Mode, my friends didn't like them, or hadn't even heard of them.
depeche mode: clean from Violator [buy]
1991: This is the year I entered high school and became an automaton. As with the previous year, I continued to listen to music that irritated my mother (much like HMBG is doing with me now with his reggaeton) and to deny the fact that some amazing music was being released. I was able to reveal that I liked Ten by Pearl Jam and The Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik, because it was the start of the grunge era. But liking Toad the Wet Sprocket, Material Issue and the amazing Matthew Sweet? Forget about it.
matthew sweet: i've been waiting from Girlfriend [buy]
Check out part one and part two...and tomorrow, part four.
2 comments:
This is where I started listening to more of the same stuff you were listening to and liking it. "I Want To Be Adored" is one of my favorite songs ever, and I consider Girlfriend an incomparable classic CD.
oh, that matthew sweet song totally reconciled my infatuation with Girlfriend. props.
Post a Comment