My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.speedofdark-web.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

3.08.2008

SXSW 2008: Fantasy Day 1



Austin-bound? No, not me. So I don't know whatever possessed me to start a series of posts based on a fictional four-day schedule for SXSW 2008 that probably no one will look at. But it's like, once I got started I felt kind of duty-bound to finish, even if I'm the only one interested in the idea.

The main problem with rock festivals is that all the good stuff gets scheduled at the same time. Look what happens to my schedule at 11:00 PM and midnight. How could I possibly choose between those acts? At least in my fantasy schedule, time and distance do not matter, and I can be in more than one place at once if I want.

This would be my dream schedule for the first day, Wednesday, March 12. I guess this means that I'm posting a schedule for the other three days too. Wish me luck! To everyone who isn't going to Austin this week, why don't you dream along with me?

1:00 PM — Cassettes Won't Listen, Akron/Family and more —
SESAC Day Stage, Austin Convention Center —
Listen to Cassettes Won't Listen's "Paper Float" on their SXSW Page — MySpace

7:00 PM — Earlimart — Bat Bar, Austin Convention Center (free show)
Sounds — SXSW Page — MySpace

8:00 PM — Jesca Hoop — Buffalo Billiards
Listen to "Money" on her SXSW Page — MySpace

8:00 PM — Summerbirds in the Cellar — Stubb's
Listen to "Wicked World" on their SXSW Page — MySpace

8:00 PM — Saint Bernadette — Wave
Listen to "Love Is a Stranger" (not a cover of the Eurythmics tune) on their SXSW Page — MySpace

8:50 PM — The Cotton Jones Basket Ride — Soho Lounge
Listen to "Chewing Gum" on their SXSW Page — MySpace

9:00 PM — Johnathan Rice — Stubb's
Listen to "We're All Stuck Out in the Desert" on his SXSW Page — MySpace

10:00 PM — Kate Tucker and the Sons of Sweden — Wave
Listen to "Faster than Cars Go" on their SXSW Page — MySpace

11:00 PM — Division Day — Buffalo Billiards
Bad Black Moon — SXSW Page — MySpace

11:00 PM — Sons and Daughters — Antone's
The Bell — SXSW Page — MySpace

11:00 PM — Okkervil River featuring Roky Erickson
— Austin Music Hall— Wow, doesn't that sound fascinating? — SXSW Page

11:00 PM — Kaki King — Brooklyn Vegan, Club de Ville
Listen to "Pull Me Out Alive" on her SXSW Page — MySpace

11:00 PM — Bowerbirds — Central Presbyterian Church
Listen to "In Our Talons" on their SXSW Page — MySpace

11:00 PM — AM Syndicate — Ninety Proof Lounge
Listen to "To the Peasants of the Emperor" on their SXSW Page — MySpace

11:00 PM — Daniel Lanois — Pangaea
Listen to "Here Is What Is" on his SXSW Page — MySpace


12:00 AM — R.E.M. — Stubb's
SXSW Page — MySpace

12:00 AM — Delorentos — Ninety Proof Lounge
Listen to "Stop" on their SXSW Page — MySpace

12:00 AM — Frightened Rabbit — Maggie Mae's Rooftop
Listen to "Modern Leper" on their SXSW Page — MySpace

12:00 AM — Elf Power — Spiro's
Paralyzed — SXSW Page — MySpace

12:00 AM — Tacks, the Boy Disaster — Maggie Mae's Gibson Room
Man With a Plan — SXSW Page — MySpace


12:20 AM — Balmorhea — St. David's Church
Listen to "limmat" on their SXSW Page — MySpace


1:00 AM — Johnette Napolitano — 18th Floor at Hilton Garden Inn
Amazing — SXSW Page — MySpace

1:00 AM — The Deadly Syndrome — Beauty Bar Backyard
Animals Wearing Clothes — SXSW Page — MySpace

1:00 AM — Shearwater — Club de Ville
Rooks — SXSW Page — MySpace


If I haven't bored you to death, check out this excellent post on the Austin-area bands at Austin Sound. I found some really nice bands there that were new to me, including Balmorhea.

2 comments:

C said...

This is a cool idea!

alt-gramma said...

You just gave me a big grin, Caleb! Thanks for the positive feedback. I will attack Day 2 soon.