My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.speedofdark-web.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

10.29.2008

Monster In the Dark


I'm going to level with you, readers: a monster has been eating my blog. I envision it a lot like the one above, kind of bored, mindlessly chomping away, and completely unresponsive to discussion. It's been devouring chunks when I'm not looking. While I'm trying to have a sense of humor about the situation, it really isn't very funny. In the past week, six of our posts have been deleted by Blogger, none with any prior notification, and only two with notification after the fact. I know which ones four of the poofed posts are, but I think maybe the other two are so old that it's not worth my time to look for them. One that I do know of was dated over a year ago, and although the link code was still in place, the songs were long gone off the host server. What was the point of that except outright intimidation?

I'm not the only one this has happened to. Suddenly there seems to be a concerted, strong-armed attack against music blogs hosted on Blogger. It's perfectly understandable that many of us would react by giving up--that option has been going through my mind too. See a thoughtful and well-worded post on Setting the Woods On Fire blog: One Last Post From An Old Blogger?

Very few music bloggers like us or the friends our blogroll make any money from blogging; we spend our time and money on it for the love of music. We hope to turn you on to things we like and support our favorite artists. Speaking for myself and Indie Mom, we have bought a LOT of music because of hearing one free song on some blog, long before we started blogging ourselves. I'm sure a great number of our readers do that too. Want to confirm that, readers?

I acknowledge that most of us tend to draw the line between good and evil just at the point where we ourselves fall on the good side. But knowing that blatant abuse does exist, in the approximately 26 months since Indie Mom and I started Speed of Dark, we have tried to stay on the good side of being an mp3 music blog. A lot of the songs we post come either from the artists themselves or from their representatives. Not every single one, but a lot. We usually don't just dump the songs out there either; we write reviews and relate them to personal commentary. Two of my glowing album reviews were among the deleted posts. Almost every post of ours includes links to the artists' websites and links to buy. We never, ever post full albums, and I take the files off our host server, although I haven't adhered to an exact schedule about that in the past (see changes, below). On the (I think) two occasions we have received an e-mail to take down a track, we have done it immediately, whether it was in legal wording or a simple request.

But apparently to certain powerful elements of the music industry, all music bloggers without distinction are egg-sucking dogs, lower than pond scum. Blogger's response to their not-very-accurate pointing fingers is to be insensitive to its own clients by deleting whole posts without warning or explanation. It's making me feel pretty creepy; like something that I can't see is always watching, and I don't know where it's going to lunge out from next. I have no intention of quitting, but we are making some changes to protect ourselves.

Changes you will note immediately: I am posting only tracks that I have personal permission from the artist or artist's representative to post. I will post a lot fewer tracks in general because securing that specific permission takes time. I am keeping much tighter control over how long the links remain active. I have let that slide from time to time, but I can't be lax anymore. I encourage you to become a subscriber so you don't miss out. Time Travel Tuesday is on indefinite hiatus because all older artists' work is owned by the large labels and record companies that are behind these deletions. I will only post older songs if I can obtain specific permission. Other changes are still in the planning stage.

Speaking of obtaining permission, I wanted this post to include "Somebody's Watching Me," covered by a non-descript group called the Halloween Party Singers under The Orchard label, and "After the Flesh" by My Life With the Thrill Kill Cult from The Crow soundtrack. I e-mailed both and requested permission. I have not heard from either of them, so those songs don't appear. However, you can listen to "Somebody's Watching Me" as my contribution to this week's Contrast Podcast #135 (a fantTAStic Halloween mix!).

To them and to the shadowy entities behind these deletions: the door swings both ways, folks. Bloggers and blog-readers don't just download free music--we BUY music, LOTS of it. We also go to concerts and purchase other merch. Music blogs benefit the artists in ways other methods don't. As evidence, I offer an e-mail I just received from our Aussie reader Mike G, who wrote me:
Thanks for posting Cut Off Your Hands (Irresistible Riffs)! Bought the album and will get a few tickets to their Sydney show after finding your post.
If my readers don't hear your songs, they won't know about them and won't buy them.

Thankfully, there are artists like Frank Hoier (who contributed to Time For Change) and David Azizinamini (Tanned Vampire) who have thanked me personally for hosting their songs and who appreciate the partnership music blogs offer. We will continue to support artists like these.

The benefit of these changes to you, dear readers, is that you have even more opportunity than ever to fall in love with something new. Here are three good examples:

Silvi Wersi and Mawe N. Klave intended to form a Smiths cover band but instead found themselves writing and recording their own songs as Mikrofisch. The Mozz influence lives on in tongue-in-cheek titles like "I Never Get Much Sleep On Weekdays," "Drum Machines Will Save Mankind," "The Kids Are All Shite," and more, many more. But today, "Alien Monsters" fits the theme.
Mikrofisch: Alien Monsters From Masters of the Universe (2007)
MySpace | Website | Label: Komakino Records | Free Download
This track expressly authorized by Matthias Weber of Komakino for publication on Speed of Dark.

San Francisco independents Lilofee, featuring Rob Easson and Kimi Recor, have a beautiful song that reflects a few of my thoughts. Is this how you destroy me? Not if I can help it.
Lilofee: Destroy Me Remix from The Only Years
This track expressly authorized by Kimi Recor of Lilofee for publication on Speed of Dark.
MySpace | Buy: direct from Lilofee

Twin sisters Romy and Sari Lightman of Ghost Bees spin a delicate and haunting folk story of spooky doings while building a story on their EP Tasseomancy. I may be West Coast, but I am not a vampire!
Ghost Bees: Vampires of the West Coast from Tasseomancy EP (2008)
MySpace | Label: Youth Club Records of Halifax
Buy at Youth Club Catalogue Store, iTunes, and eMusic
This track was provided by an authorized agent of the artist for the purpose of distribution on Speed of Dark.


Woodcut used by permission, from Bill Casselman's Canadian Word of the Day website

10 comments:

Natsthename said...

I am missing some posts, too, and I have not gone back into my files far enough to see which ones are gone. I was hosting my files at fileden, along with some photos and/or reviews I'd written, and the entire fileden account was deleted! Looks like the music people are on a rampage. It's not like we are putting out raging torrents, and I only have about 5 regular readers!

I don't know what to do. I don't get my inbox slammed with submissions because I don't write in-depth reviews, and lots of my content is older music.

I might just give up the whole thing.

alt-gramma said...

My own mood on the issue goes back and forth, but mostly I feel like, OK, so I'll learn how to deal with this. That's why next to every song there is a notation stating that I have permission to use it. This whole deal is so frustrating because I don't even know who is behind these deletions or why, so how can I manage not to offend them?

And if they're going to delete posts over a year old that have no songs attached to the links, how can I possibly protect myself from that? It makes me feel pretty paranoid.

Chris said...

Hi alt-gramma, long time no chat.

I've read many of these similar posts lately and although I only post music sent to me with expressed consent to post and share, I wouldn't be surprised if Blogger comes calling, if only for the lack of research on their part or any artist charging their minds on the share front. One step I have taken is saving each email stating the allowance of usage as a .pdf file, and you can bet if Blogger knocks on my door I'll share it with them.

One odd point to add: Ed at 17 Seconds had a Glasvegas-related post removed by Blogger. In yesterday's email, SonyBMG sent me a release including a link to a Glasvegas mp3 download. I've forwarded it on to Ed.

I've had one notice in three years fro the web sheriff, an mp3 by The Magnetic Fields that every blog on the planet seemed to have posted, but I got spanked for it. Had permission, too. Go figure.

If I can help in any way, just ask. And I hope this doesn't lead you to discontinuing your writing here, I so enjoying reading it.

alt-gramma said...

Hey, Chris! :) Thanks for the kind words.

Blogger doesn't come calling at the front door, though. They are not interested in dialogue, and they make that clear in the notice, if they even bother to send one. They just bash in your window, grab what they're after, and disappear. I don't have a problem being asked to take a track down, and it's happened a couple of times to us. But this--this is different.

And what you bring up about Ed's post being deleted and your recently receiving a song for the same band--that doesn't help anybody know what to do. Nat and I and most bloggers want to be safe, but we don't know how to anymore because these takedowns don't make sense.

I am questioning every e-mail I get now. If it doesn't state straight out that the tracks are OK for me to post, I ask. Making pdfs of e-mails is an interesting idea. How do you file them? by artist, by post, by date?

MOJOPHENIA - Mind Over Music said...

Hi alt-gramma,
I have a blog that seems like it`s been involved in a wartime beach landing, holes everywhere!
Now on my third Fileden account, they just seem to run away, packing their bags, not even a goodbye note. I am trying to see the funny side of the situation, but as you know alot of time and effort is taken up by a music blog.
I`m so trying to understand how complex self-hosting would be, I have a headache :O( ...

alt-gramma said...

Hi, Mojo! I'm glad to see you, and thanks for visiting.

Self-hosting your files is not that hard, really. When we first started we were using a free filehost that became completely unreliable, so we fortunately went this direction. I think almost everybody has a geek friend who can help with the initial setup. After that, uploading is a piece of cake. It doesn't have to be expensive either.

MOJOPHENIA - Mind Over Music said...

Unfortunately, we shipped all our geek friends to a small island somewhere in the Pacific. In hindsight, maybe we should have kept at least one here. Keep smiling and continue to enjoy what you do.

alt-gramma said...

I just looked at the thumbnail of this picture where it appears in my Yahoo feed...and it looks positively obscene. LOL!

Mojo--you keep on doing what you do too, OK?

Chris said...

alt-gramma, I save them per artist. I get around 60-70 solicitations per week by e- and snail mail and I say 99% that include music WANT it posted and shared, especially the lesser known bands flying under the radar trying to gain awareness of their music. One of the most rewartding things about having a music blog is posting a song by a relatively unknown artist, having them get positive comments (from the few that post them) and getting a happy email from the artist. I know we've helped sell dozens of CD's, and why someone would want that tempered is beyond me. I read somewhere that .08% of the population download from music blogs; seems the labels need to focus on that other 99.92% for the sales they need!

musicunderfire said...

Hi ladies! We haven't had any dissapearing posts as of yet (knock on wood), but have always relied on our own hosting.

Its a shame this is happening. I know exactly how you feel. You listen to a song, talk to a band to post, get their permission and still get a notice. This has been going on for as long as we have been blogging (about 11 months).

One particular example for us is a band we wrote about eventually got signed to Sony or another big record company. Almost four months after the post, we get a notce to take it down, when in the first place, we had been going through the band who had not yet made it big nor signed a record deal. All of the sudden, the record companies take over and shut down your hosting for a couple days.

What is shocking is that your posts are just getting deleted. The thoughts, time and effort you put into sharing the good news with others, with all good intentions just gets flushed down the toilet and is quite aggravating. I share your frustrations and hope the blame on bloggers can be lessened in the months to come.