My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.speedofdark-web.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

4.21.2007

A Curtain of Stars


David, Steven, and Chris of July Fourth


"I write music and sing because I have to, not because I have a choice. I started realizing that when I was most upset or excited, the feeling was made better after writing songs about it."

These are the words David Azizinamini wrote to me when I asked him for background about himself and his band July Fourth because I have been hooked on "Curtain of Stars" ever since I first heard the first notes. David is the songwriter and voice of July Fourth. From the age of seven, he wrote songs and made tapes and still writes almost every day.

Speaking of the voice--what a voice! It might fool you at first, but think of Greg Gilbert of the Delays, or Brian Molko of Placebo. That should put you in the mood to thoroughly enjoy the unique beauty of David's vocals. He takes voice lessons now to learn to use and protect it properly.

Today marks the official release of July Fourth's new EP Curtain of Stars with a concert and party at the Doubledoor in Chicago. The album artwork was done by MatAlgorithm, who has also designed artwork for San Francisco band Film School. July Fourth also released an EP in 2005 called If Dinosaurs Could See Us Now with a different lineup.

About the current band, David calls bassist Steven one of his best friends. Their drummer Chris joined them last year, and David says that despite other differences in their lives, the three of them are completely aligned musically.

David says, "I feel music so deeply that it moves me everyday. Sincerely, every day I get goosebumps over other people's work or the work we're doing. We love the music we make, we think its special, and we hope we get the opportunity some day to show the world."

I think their music is special too, and I just want to tell everyone, Listen to THIS!

July Fourth: Curtain of Stars from Curtain of Stars EP (2007) | lyrics
July Fourth: Phoenix from If Dinosaurs Could See Us Now EP (2005)

Stream "Medication" and the gorgeous "Trapped On the Tarmac" at their MySpace site.

Chicagoans can look for another live performance on May 17 at the Elbo Room.

official website | myspace

If Dinosaurs Could See Us Now EP available on itunes, and hopefully Curtain of Stars will be available there soon too.

No comments: