My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.speedofdark-web.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

8.28.2008

Matthew Sweet: New Music, New Shows



I sincerely regret that we are not able to catch Matthew Sweet at the Echo in L.A. tonight. As you'll see as soon as I get back home and process my photos, we saw Shearwater the night before, and unfortunately I don't have either the stamina or the bucks to do two concerts in a row. For the record, I am not whining about the cost of tickets; it's the cost of gas, meals, and motel that keeps me from going to all the shows I'd like to.

Sweet is a long-time favorite of ours; Indie Mom was still in high school the last time we saw him (at the Whiskey, Hollywood, April 20, 1995--I still have the ticket stub!). I have no doubt that Sweet and the band he calls Superdeformed--Ric Menck(drums), Tony Marsico,(bass), Peter Phillips (lead guitar), and Paul Chastain (vocals, guitars)--will put on a worthy show tonight with plenty of sweet, sparkling tunes.

Sweet is promoting a brand-new album, released this week, called Sunshine Lies, his tenth and the first solo album of original work since 2004's Living Things. (In 2003 he recorded an album as part of The Thorns with Shawn Mullins and Pete Droge). Players on Sunshine Lies include long-time friends: Richard Lloyd (Television--yum!), Ivan Julian (Richard Hell & the Voidoids), and Greg Leisz (six-string, 12-string and slide guitars, pedal steel), as well as Susanna Hoffs (the Bangles) and Sweet's wife Lisa on backing harmonies. He is also readying another album of Sid and Susie covers with Hoffs.

"Someone To Pull the Trigger" holds a special place in my heart because it was playing in my car the morning I drove to the hospital on the day He Might Be Giant was born. I was not ready to be a grandma, but he pulled the trigger.
COPYRIGHTED CONTENT HAS BEEN REMOVED
Daisychain from Sunshine Lies (2008)
Morning Song from Kimi Ga Suki Raifu (2003)
Dark Secret (with Lindsay Buckingham) from The Craft Soundtrack (1996)
Devil With the Green Eyes (remix) from Son Of Altered Beast [EP] (1994)
Someone To Pull the Trigger from Altered Beast (1993)
Divine Intervention from Girlfriend (1991)

MySpace | Website | Label: RCAM Records

Interview with Matthew Sweet at Performing Songwriter. Surprise fact: He makes pottery!

Buy at Shout!Factory, iTunes (with two bonus tracks), eMusic, and Amazon.com
Get the double LP with 4 bonus tracks at Shout!Factory,

Show Schedule: Check MySpace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great band - cant wait to see him in falls church! note that itunes has 6 bonus tracks not on CD, and they are all great as well - thanks for posting "dark secret - never heard it before! cheers, johnbuck